Primary x The Conscious Kid
Get to know the reasons why this organization and their mission is so special to ours.
We first came across The Conscious Kid in early summer 2020. We put out an open call among our team and customer community to share resources to better educate ourselves and our children on the topic of racism and how best to eradicate it in our society, and The Conscious Kid was an early and frequent recommendation. Since then, we have shared their site and resources again and again in our social media and among our own friends and family.
Here are 5 reasons why we love The Conscious Kid, and are proud to support them with a $25,000 donation this month.
- Their mission. In their own words, “We are an education, research, and policy organization dedicated to equity and promoting healthy racial identity development in youth. We support organizations, families, and educators in taking action to disrupt racism in young children.”
- They highlight wonderful books to grow your home library. Their recommended reading lists include: books by Black authors for ages 0-18, childrens’ books to support conversations on race, racism, and resistance, and Black history books by Black authors.
- They offer helpful resources on a range of topics. Categorized and easy to navigate, their growing list of related resources offers everything from research-based best practices about how to talk to kids about race, to vocabulary lists for understanding key terms of the time we live in.
- They support educators. Through monetary donations, The Conscious Kid has been able to supply classrooms with an anti-racism library, equipping teachers with the tools to disrupt racial inequity and demonstrate solidarity with Black and Brown communities.
- They are providing rent relief to families. Since April 2020, The Conscious Kid has sent over $1,300,000 in COVID-19 rent relief to families across the country, including over $700,000 to Black families. Donations and applications are still being accepted.
It’s for these reasons and many more that we are excited to highlight their organization and make a donation to support their mission. Kids shine brighter because of the work The Conscious Kid does, and we are proud to support it.