Wizard of Oz
For Cowardly Lion:
- One green baby top
- One yellow baby bottom
- Tan felt (1/4 yard)
- Black felt (3 sheets 9”x12”)
- Straw (small amount)
- One white kids top
- One blue kids dress
For Glinda the Good Witch:
- One pink kids dress
- Silver cardstock paper (2 sheets 9”x12”)
- Pink feather boa (thin)
- Pink plastic jewels
- White poster board
- Pink and silver paint and paintbrushes
- Thin wooden dowel
- White ribbon
For Tin Man:
- One gray kids outfit
- Silver party hat
- Fabric chalk
- Double sided fabric tape
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Elastic sewing band
For the Cowardly Lion:
- Step one: Follow our DIY kid Lion costume for the cowardly lion.
- Step two: Want to make a baby cowardly lion? Follow our DIY baby Lion costume.
For the Scarecrow:
For the hat:
Step one: Use a large dinner plate to trace and cut a circle from a sheet of black felt. Use a smaller bowl roughly the diameter of the wearer's head to trace and cut a circle in the center of the larger circle.
Step two: Cut two tall rectangles and cut the tops to a curved point from black felt. Hot glue the curved hat piece together, leaving the bottom straight edge open. Hot glue the bottom edge around the opening of the hat base.
For the cowl:
Step one: Cut a long rectangle from tan felt, about 6”x36”. Cut small slits along the top long edge about 2 inches apart. Fringe cut the bottom outside edge of the cowl as you did with the patches to make it look frayed.
Step two: Thread yarn or string through the holes and pull the fabric so it bunches. Wrap around the collar and tie the string together in the back.
Step three: Hot glue bits of straw around the collar to give it more of a scarecrow look.
For the patches:
Step one: Cut a square or two from tan felt and fringe cut around the edges. Attach patches to the pants and shirt with fabric tape or safety pins.
Step two: Use twine or rope to tie a belt around the waist, ankles, and wrists!
Optional: If you want to go all out, you could get some hay/straw and insert up the sleeves, pant legs, and neck to get the stuffed scarecrow look!
- Step one: Put the blue dress over the white top
- Step two: Accessorize with braids, red slippers, and a basket!
For Glinda the Good Witch
For the crown:
- Step one: Cut a zig zag line across both sheets of silver card stock paper and staple them together in a ring to form a crown.
- Step two: Glue pink plastic jewels to the tips of the crown and glue a pink feather boa around the base of the crown.
For the wings:
Step one: Cut wings as one big piece from one sheet of white poster board.
Step two: Use pink and silver paint to paint a design onto the wings.
Step three: Glue elastic bands to the center of the wings to wear over the shoulders and on the back.
For the wand:
Step one: Paint a thin wooden dowel silver.
Step two: Cut a star from poster board and paint it pink and silver.
Step three: Glue strips of white ribbon to the bottom of the star and glue the star to the dowel.