“What works best for a witch costume?”
- One black kids outfit
- Black felt ( ½ yard)
- Yellow felt (¼ yard)
- White felt (1 sheet 9”x12”)
- Pom poms (variety size and color pack)
- Pipe cleaners (6)
- Black elastic (optional)
- Wooden dowel (4’ long, 1” diameter)
- Brown kraft paper (1 roll)
- White string
- Hot glue gun & sticks
- Safety pins
Your child will be bewitching in our fun and easy DIY Witch costume!
For the hat:
- Cut out two matching circles from black felt about 16” in diameter for the hat brim. Hot glue these circles together to make a stiffer brim.
- Cut out a smaller circle in the center of this circle for the head opening. Cut a large triangle about 12” tall with a rounded bottom edge.
- Roll this into a cone shape and hot glue together and around the head opening circle to make a pointy witch’s hat. Hot glue an elastic band to the hat to hold it onto the head if necessary.
For the belt:
- Cut a strip of yellow felt for the belt that fits around the child’s waist.
- Cut a square belt buckle from white felt and hot glue to the center of the belt.
- Attach the belt around the waist with a safety pin.
For the spiders:
- Glue two pom-poms together in matching colors, but different sizes, for a bug body.
- Cut two matching colored pipe cleaners in half for the legs and line up the four pipe cleaners together in a row.
- Cut and hot glue a rectangle of felt across the center of the four pipe cleaner "legs," and hot glue a pin back to the center of the felt. Hot glue this set of legs to the pom pom body and bend the legs up, then down about one inch from the ends of the legs.
- Glue two matching but contrasting color smaller pom poms to the head for the eyes. Make 3 spiders and pin to the hat and top to accessorize.
For the broom:
- Cut about 12” tall rectangles from kraft paper and fringe cut the paper to make the broom “bristles”.
- The top of the paper should still be attached so you can roll the paper around the bottom of the wooden dowel and hot glue together.
- Add as much fringe cut paper as you like to make the broom nice and full. Once finished, wrap and tie white string around the top of the paper bristles.