Skip to content
- One purple kids outfit
- Empty paper towel roll
- Black elastic band
- Lilac felt (2 sheets 9x12 inches each)
- Teal craft foam sheet (1 sheet 12x18 inches)
- Yellow felt (⅓ yard)
- White felt (2 sheets 9x12 inches each)
- Dark purple felt (¼ yard)
- Miscellaneous felt, yarn, & pom poms for vacuum “dirt”
- Black marker
For the handle:
- Use an empty paper towel roll and cover it with lilac felt.
- Cut a strip of teal craft foam for the handle and glue in a handle loop onto the top of the paper towel tube.
- At the bottom edge of the tube, cut two slits on either side for an elastic band to fit through.
- Thread elastic band through and make a knot to secure it to fit around the head.
For the body:
- Make a sandwich board style vacuum costume by cutting a long rectangle from yellow felt that fits over the front and back of the body.
- Cut a circle in the center for the neck opening, and cut a vertical slit at the back neck to make it wider to fit into.
- Use safety pins to secure closed when wearing. Glue ribbon ties to the sides to tie the costume together.
- Glue a white panel over the center belly area for the “dust” bin.
- Glue small pieces of colorful felt and scraps for “dust” particles on the center dust collector section.
- Have fun with the pieces, making a lego brick, a scrabble piece, a cracker, anything else that might end up inside a vacuum!
- Use a black marker to dot in specks of dust in the bin.
For the vacuum base:
- Use a teal craft foam sheet to make the bottom front of the vacuum.
- Hot glue to the front bottom edge of the felt body piece.
- Cut, stuff and glue dark purple felt wheels on either side of the vacuum.
For the cord:
- Cut a long strip of dark purple felt for the cord with a plug at the end.
- Coil it together and wrap around one arm or pin it to the back of the costume.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.