- One blue kids outfit
- Black felt (1 sheet 9 x 12 inches)
- White felt (1 sheet 9 x 12 inches)
- Purple felt (1 sheet 9 x 12 inches)
- Turquoise blue felt (1 sheet 9 x 12 inches)
- Tulle in rainbow colors
- Blue craft foam (2 sheets 12 x 18 inches each)
- Stuffing (polyfil, felt scraps, tissue, or newspaper)
- Safety pins
- Double sided fabric tape
- Hot glue gun and sticks
Keep your skies clear of scratchy storebought costumes with our DIY Rainbow Dash costume! Once you see your little one having the time of their life in our comfy and colorful Primary essentials all done up with your DIY magic, your heart will be soaring (almost) higher than they are!
For the eyes:
- Cut shapes from black, white and purple felt. Each eye is made from 6 shapes. We cut two large oval shapes with three "spokes" for eyelashes from black felt.
- Then 2 large white felt ovals, 2 medium sized circles from purple felt and slightly smaller circles from black felt. Next cut 2 medium and 2 smaller circles from white felt. To create identical shapes just fold felt in half so you cut both pieces at once.
- Layer the pieces and glue together with hot glue. Then apply each eye to the top of the hood with fabric tape.
For the ears:
- Cut four matching ears from pool blue felt. Hot glue two ear pieces together along the curved edge and stuff with any stuffing. Seal closed with hot glue. Add one dot of glue in the bottom center of the ear along the edge and pinch together. This creates the horse like ear.
- Safety pin these to the hood of the hoodie. If you are worried about safety pins touching the child's head you can put a little electrical table on the inside to cover the pin.
For the hair:
- Cut long lengths of the tulle (long enough to reach down the child's back) and bunch together. Tie a knot at one end of the tulle bunch leaving about 5" loose at the end. This fringe become the bangs.
- Safety pin the tulle to the hood in between the ears making sure it is visible in the front like bangs.
For the tail:
- Cut double the length of the hair strips of tulle and fold in half.
- Gather the bunch at the folded end just a few inches from the edge and tie the whole bunch together with an extra strip of tulle.This will make the tail nice and full. Then safety pin to the backside of the hoodie.
- Cut two large and two small wing shapes from blue foam. Glue the smaller wings in the center of the larger wings. Safety pin the wings to the shoulder blades of the hoodie. You can also make the wings a little larger and glue together in the center with hot glue.
- On the side that faces you add two strips of felt long enough to fit over a child's arm and on each side hot glue only the ends down. This will create straps so the child may wear the wings like a backpack.