- One white kids top
- One white kids bottom
- Royal blue felt (1-2 yards)
- Off white felt (½ yard)
- White felt (½ yard)
- Light brown felt (1 sheet 9x12 inches)
- White ruffled lace
- Fabric chalk
- Hot glue gun & sticks
- Safety pin
- Double sided fabric tape
Transform your little revolutionary into one of America's most iconic founding fathers with our DIY Hamilton! Your little one may fight for independence everyday, but for this Halloween with our Primary essentials, and your DIY magic, they'll finally be able to look the part too!
For the vest:
- Use the white top to trace the width, shoulders, and arm hole curves for the front panel of the vest onto off white felt. Cut a “V” shape from the top center, and a less pronounced upside down “V” shape from the bottom center of the vest. Cut and glue circle “buttons” down the center of the vest using light brown felt. Attach this vest panel to the front of the white top with double sided fabric tape.
For the cravat:
- Cut a wide strip of white felt for the neckband of the cravat. Glue a rectangle of white felt to the bottom center of the neckband and glue layers of ruffled white lace onto it. Attach the cravat around the collar with a safety pin.
For the jacket:
- Use an existing jacket and fabric chalk to trace the pattern onto royal blue felt, adding extra length as needed, and leaving about ½ inch seam allowance to attach the seams. Hot glue the seams together, leaving the front open. Cut two long strips of white felt and glue to the open edges of the jacket for the lapels. Cut and glue two wide strips of white felt around the cuffs of the jacket. Cut and glue light brown felt circles for buttons around the cuffs and along the lapels. Glue ruffled white lace around the inside of each sleeve.
- Add black boots or galoshes, and a goatee with a make-up pencil and you’re set!
- For an alternate way of creating the beard, check out our easy DIY No-Sew Beard video tutorial!
- For a DIY baby Hamilton, use our baby top and baby bottom in white!
- Create an easy DIY George Washington by following these same instructions and adding some white hair! Use a white beanie as a base, cover with white felt, and leave a ponytail at the base. Tie the ponytail with a black ribbon. For the curls, roll and glue 4 white felt tubes and glue two felt curls onto each side of the wig.