Hei Hei (Kid)
Don't be chicken when it comes to this easy DIY costume.
DIY time is about 30 minutes
- One orange kids top
- One blue kids bottom
- Styrofoam ball (3 inches diameter)
- Black felt (1 sheet 9 x 12 inches)
- Red felt (4 sheets 9 x 12 inches each)
- Blue felt (4 sheets 9 x 12 inches each)
- Yellow felt (4 sheets 9 x 12 inches each)
- Green felt (2 sheets 9 x 12 inches each)
- Black felt (scrap piece for eyes)
- Black marker
- Stuffing (polyfil, felt scraps, tissue, or newspaper)
- Safety pins
- Double sided fabric tape
Bring your favorite silly sidekick to life with this DIY Hei Hei costume! Our reusable Primary essentials will keep your kid comfy, colorful, but most importantly ready for antics and adventure. They'll have so much fun bumbling around as Moana's favorite friend, and you'll have so much fun getting high fives from everyone who learns that you made it yourself!
- Form the Yellow Bib: Glue together four sheets of yellow felt. We used 9"x12" felt and glued them together into a big 18"x24" piece. Cut a large zig zag edged circle from this felt. Then cut a slit from the outside edge to the center of the circle, and cut a 3 inch circle in the center. This will be the opening for the head.
- Form the Red Bib: Cut one red zig zagged edge C shape from felt. Hot glue the red piece to the front of the yellow piece. You'll need about two 9x12 sheets of red felt.
- Form the Blue Bib: Repeat the same steps to create a zig zig blue bib and hot glue the blue felt on top of the red.
Make The Eyes: Cut a styrofoam ball in half. Cut two small black circles from felt and hot glue one to the center of each eye.
Make Eye Base: From felt, cut a long oval from red felt that is slightly larger than the two eyes sitting side by side with about 1/2 inch between the eyes.
Make Eye Embellishments: Cut two crescents of blue felt as wide as the eyes and glue to the bottom edge of the red felt cutout, where the eyes will be.
- Secure Eyes to Base: Glue the styrofoam eyes to the red felt base, just above the blue crescents.
Make Eye Snoods: Cut two red snoods (elongated teardrop shapes) from red felt and glue to the back of the oval red base under either side of the eyes.
- Make the Beak: Cut a yellow felt triangle beak and glue to the bottom center of the red oval, between the blue crescents. Use a black marker to draw the nostrils onto the beak.
- Form the Head Comb: Cut two matching pieces of red felt with wavy points about 6 inches long at the base.
- Stuff and Close Head Comb: Hot glue half the red pieces edges together and stuff with any stuffing. Hot glue the rest of the comb closed.
Mount Head Comb: Cut a long red strip of felt and hot glue to the base of the comb. This strip acts as a base to fabric tape or safety pin to the top of the hood.
- Cut Tail Feathers: Cut four matching felt green feathers and two matching felt blue feathers
- Form Tail Feathers: Cut three pieces of wire that are the length of the feathers and bend to fit the feathers.
- Glue Tail Feathers: Hot glue a piece of wire down the center of each feather, and hot glue matching felt on top.
Mount Tail Feathers: Attach to the bottom center of the hoodie with safety pins
- Print out Templates: We've put together a Hei Hei face template and Hei Hei comb template to help with cutting the separate pieces of felt.
- Have a baby that wants in on the adventure to restore the heart of Te Fiti? Check out our DIY baby Hei Hei costume!
- Make a whole Moana crew with our DIY Tamatoa!