- One white kids top
- One white kids bottom
- Round plastic laundry basket
- White duct tape
- 2 pairs adult-size white tights
- Fabric Batting
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
- Multicolored craft foam
- Wrapping paper
- 2 pieces of poster board
- 1 Red pipe cleaner
- 1 Round foam ball
- 1 large piece of red felt
- Safety pins
- White cotton headband
- Red, white or silver boots or shoes
What's even better than a birthday cake? A Halloween cupcake, of course... there's just more frosting per square inch! Bring this sweet treat to life with our Primary DIY Cupcake costume. This whimsical outfit is sure to be the icing on the cake for this year's Halloween festivities. Satisfy your sweet tooth and your crafty cravings with our simple DIY instructions, using our Primary essentials. Your kiddo might not even need any Halloween candy when they've got this sweet costume! (Just kidding. The candy is crucial.)
For the cupcake:
- First, cut the bottom out of the laundry basket. Fashion suspenders out of the white duct tape and secure them to the top rim of the laundry basket with more duct tape.
- Cut legs off adult tights and reserve the “bottom” of one pair for later use. Stuff each leg with batting and knot the open end. Hot-glue legs together, end to end; let dry.
- Line a few inches of the laundry basket rim with hot glue and begin winding the tights along the edge, creating a coil or swirl with the tights as you go; repeat until tights are glued around basket rim to resemble swirls of frosting.
- Continue on top of first tight layer, working section by section and layer by layer. Be sure to leave gaps in the glue on each side of the costume between the final two layers of “frosting” tights. This will create holes for your child’s arms to go through.
- Next, cut pieces of craft foam into strips to resemble sprinkles and hot-glue to the layers; let dry.
- Measure height and circumference of basket; triple the circumference. Measure and cut poster board to the same measurements.
- If desired, glue decorative wrapping paper to the front of the poster board to create a more decorative “cupcake liner”; fold the poster board accordion-style and hot-glue to basket, working one section at a time.
For the cherry hat:
- To make the hat, hot-glue together one end of the “bottom” of the tights that you cut off. Stuff with batting and then glue the other end closed.
- Hot-glue this piece to a white headband to resemble one last dollop of frosting. Hot-glue the red felt around the foam ball and hot-glue pipe cleaner end to top of the ball to create a cherry. Hot-glue the cherry to the top of the headband.
For the assembly:
- Dress your child in our kids top and bottom, shoes, cupcake costume, and red headband.