Bookworm, Thought Bubble & Librarian
Halloween brings imagination and creativity to life and books stir this magic year round! Does your little one delight in story time, independent reading, and trips to the library? Why, they may be the perfect little bookworm! Caregivers are the facilitators of early literacy and bringing their littles imaginations to life through their engagement and love. So why not join in as the librarian and thought bubble to complete this family ensemble? Add your family’s unique and colorful interests on the pages and in the thought bubble of this sweet DIY family costume, and “Be What You Want to Be!”
- One green kids outfit
- 4 White Foam Sheets - Size 12x18
- 2 Rainbow Foam Sheets - Size 12x18
- 1 Glitter Foam Sheet with Removal Backing - 9x12
- Reused sunglasses with lenses removed
- 3 Polystyrene Craft Spheres - Varying Sizes
- 1 piece of Foam Board
- 1 Wire Hanger
- Tacky Glue
Make the bookworm:
- Step one: Cut oval eyes from white felt and use a black marker to draw in the irises.
- Step two: Attach to the hood with safety pins or double sided fabric tape.
- Step three: Or alternatively, you could wear a pair of thick rimmed glasses instead!
- Step four: Cut an oval of light green felt for the belly and use a green marker to draw horizontal lines across it.
- Step five: Attach to the belly with safety pins or double sided fabric tape.
- Step 6: Make a giant book with cardboard, duct tape, and paint that is open and has armholes cut out so that the body is inside in the center, and the book wraps around the back and sides of the body. Attach duct tape straps if necessary to hold it up.
- Step 7: Or The book can be worn over the torso like a sandwich board. Tape a spine to one side to connect the front and back pieces, and use duct tape to make shoulder straps.
- Step 8: Paint the cover of your favorite book on the cover, and you’re set!
Make the thought bubble:
- Step one: Cut an oval shape out of foam board
- Step two: Write text on foam board
- Step three: Use wire hanger to attach craft spheres to the foam board