"How do I make a turkey costume for my baby?"
- One brown baby top or hoodie
- One orange baby bottom
- Brown felt (5 sheets 9x12 inches each)
- Yellow felt (3 sheets 9x12 inches each)
- Red felt (2 sheets 9x12 inches each)
- White felt (2 sheets 9x12 inches each)
- Black felt (small scrap)
- Cardboard (12 x 17 inches)
- Styrofoam ball (3 inch diameter)
- Kitchen knife
- Stuffing (felt scraps)
- Double sided fabric tape
- Hot glue gun and sticks
For the tail
- Cut the cardboard into a large “D” shape for the tail base.
- Cut about 2x3 inch red felt strips, 1 ½ x 2 inch brown felt rectangles, and 1 ½ x 2 inch white felt rectangles for the outer layer of “feathers”. Cut enough to cover the outer curved cardboard edge.
- Fringe cut the brown and white felt rectangles along the 2 inch edge. Glue the straight edge of the brown felt to the top of a red felt strip, then glue the straight edge of the white felt to the back of the brown piece. Repeat to make all the outer edge feathers.
- Cut 2x4 inch strips of yellow felt, and ½ x 2 inch white felt rectangles for the inner tail feathers. Fringe cut the white felt rectangles along the 2 inch edge. Glue the straight edge of the white felt to the top of the yellow felt and repeat to make all the inner felt feathers.
- Hot glue the red outer edge feathers to the cardboard first, then glue the yellow inner feathers overlapping the bottom of the red feathers.
- Cut thin strips of yellow felt and hot glue them along the bottom edge of the brown felt.
- Cut a “D” shaped brown felt piece and glue over the bottom edges of the yellow feathers. Lay down fabric tape on this area to attach to the back of the hoodie.
For the face
- With the kitchen knife, cut a styrofoam ball in half. Cut out two small black felt circles and glue one to the center of each styrofoam eye.
- Place the eyes onto brown felt and space them about an inch apart. Make sure there’s about ½ inch brown felt around the outer edges of the eyes. Hot glue the eyes onto the felt and trim the felt ½ inch around the eyes.
- Cut two matching diamond beak shapes from yellow felt. Snip some yellow felt scraps into smaller pieces to use as stuffing for the beak. Hot glue and stuff the beak together. Cut two small brown felt teardrops for the nostrils and glue them to the beak. Glue the beak to the center bottom of the brown felt eyepiece. Attach to the hoodie with fabric tape.
For the belly
- Cut a sheet of brown felt to a rounded rectangle to fit over the belly. Cut strips of brown felt and fringe cut along the long edge. Hot glue the fringed strips overlapping each other starting at the bottom of the rounded rectangle belly piece.
- Cut two rounded teardrop shapes from red felt and glue to the top center of the belly piece.
- Attach to the front of the hoodie with fabric tape.