- One red baby outfit
- One 36x36 sheet of red felt
- Two 9x12 sheets of baby pink felt
- Five 9x12 sheets yellow felt
- One 9x12 sheet black felt
- One 9x12 sheet tan or brown felt
- One 9x12 sheet white felt
- One piece yellow or gold card-stock
- Red beanie hat
- Black long feathers
- Red short feathers
- Three or four lime green balloons
- Yellow thread (optional)
Your baby bird will be the opposite of angry when they get dressed up in this comfy and creative costume, made with our soft Primary essentials!
- Cut red felt: Cut a circle out of the red felt, for the stomach, and make sure it’s not too big.
- Cut pink felt: Cut out oval shaped pieced from the baby pink felt and cut lines on both sides to create a feather look.
- Layer and glue the pieces: Layer and glue the pieces to the red felt.
- Cut wing shapes: Cut two wing shapes from the red felt, and make sure they’re no too wide or long.
- Then cut a 2-inch slanted slit at the top of both wings.
- Fold one side on top of the other (to make a cup shape for the shoulders) and glue. Do the same to the other wing.
- Cut enough feather pieces from the red felt to cover the wings and cut lines on each piece to create a feather look.
- Layer and glue the pieces to the wings.
- Cut 4 pieces of elastic and glue one towards the top and one towards the bottom of both wings.
- Cut 2 eyebrows from a black piece of felt and then cut slits at each end.
- Cut 2 large circles from the back felt to go behind the white eyes.
- Cut 2 slightly smaller white circles for the white of the eye.
- Cut 2 smaller brown/tan circles for the iris.
- Cut 2 small black circles for the pupils.
- Cut 2 very tiny white circles for the “glare” in the eye.
- Layer and glue from bottom to top, then glue to the hat.
- Cut two triangles from the yellow felt for the nose and then 2 slightly larger black triangles to go behind the yellow. Layer and glue to the hat.
- Use the shoes your child will be wearing as a measuring guide, and cut 4 pieces of yellow felt in the shape of bird feet.
- Take 2 of those cut yellow felt pieces and sew (with yellow thread) or glue together along the outer ends.
- Glue elastic to the back of the feet that open for the shoe to go in.
- Use the leftover/extra yellow felt to roll up and stuff into the toes to give them some dimension.
- Cut a circle out of the black felt to go on their backside.
- Cut the ends of the feathers slightly so they’re not too long, and then glue 3 feathers to the black circle and then add a safety pin.
- Blow up 3 or 4 lime green balloons and draw the pig faces with a black sharpie.
- Make 1 small crown from the yellow or gold card-stock for the king pig, and glue to balloon.
- You can tie the balloons to your child's hand, or tie them to the safety pin used for the black feathers.