- One red baby outfit
- One 36x36 sheet of red felt
- Two 9x12 sheets of baby pink felt
- Five 9x12 sheets yellow felt
- One 9x12 sheet black felt
- One 9x12 sheet tan or brown felt
- One 9x12 sheet white felt
- One piece yellow or gold card-stock
- Red beanie hat
- Black long feathers
- Red short feathers
- Three or four lime green balloons
- Yellow thread (optional)
Black permanent marker
Sewing needle (optional)
Your baby bird will be the opposite of angry when they get dressed up in this comfy and creative costume, made with our soft Primary essentials!
Cut red felt: Cut a circle out of the red felt, for the stomach, and make sure it’s not too big.
Cut pink felt: Cut out oval shaped pieced from the baby pink felt and cut lines on both sides to create a feather look.
Layer and glue the pieces: Layer and glue the pieces to the red felt.
Cut wing shapes: Cut two wing shapes from the red felt, and make sure they’re no too wide or long.
- Then cut a 2-inch slanted slit at the top of both wings.
- Fold one side on top of the other (to make a cup shape for the shoulders) and glue. Do the same to the other wing.
- Cut enough feather pieces from the red felt to cover the wings and cut lines on each piece to create a feather look.
- Layer and glue the pieces to the wings.
- Cut 4 pieces of elastic and glue one towards the top and one towards the bottom of both wings.
- Cut 2 eyebrows from a black piece of felt and then cut slits at each end.
- Cut 2 large circles from the back felt to go behind the white eyes.
- Cut 2 slightly smaller white circles for the white of the eye.
- Cut 2 smaller brown/tan circles for the iris.
- Cut 2 small black circles for the pupils.
- Cut 2 very tiny white circles for the “glare” in the eye.
- Layer and glue from bottom to top, then glue to the hat.
- Cut two triangles from the yellow felt for the nose and then 2 slightly larger black triangles to go behind the yellow. Layer and glue to the hat.
- Use the shoes your child will be wearing as a measuring guide, and cut 4 pieces of yellow felt in the shape of bird feet.
- Take 2 of those cut yellow felt pieces and sew (with yellow thread) or glue together along the outer ends.
- Glue elastic to the back of the feet that open for the shoe to go in.
- Use the leftover/extra yellow felt to roll up and stuff into the toes to give them some dimension.
- Cut a circle out of the black felt to go on their backside.
- Cut the ends of the feathers slightly so they’re not too long, and then glue 3 feathers to the black circle and then add a safety pin.
- Blow up 3 or 4 lime green balloons and draw the pig faces with a black sharpie.
- Make 1 small crown from the yellow or gold card-stock for the king pig, and glue to balloon.
- You can tie the balloons to your child's hand, or tie them to the safety pin used for the black feathers.