- One purple kids outfit
- Purple felt (8 sheets 9x12 inches each)
- Yellow felt (1 yard)
- Cardboard (large piece for the shell base, and smaller pieces for the eyes)
- Pipe cleaners (2 purple)
- Large googly eyes
- Stuffing (felt scraps, newspaper, tissue, or polyfil)
- Gold glitter
- Gold toy coins
- Craft glue
- Hot glue gun and sticks
Make your kid a shiny, glam, and never drab little crab with this easy DIY Tamatoa costume! Our reuseable Primary essentials will keep them comfy and happy as a clam, and your DIY magic will have them feeling fab!
For the legs:
- Cut four matching leg sets from purple felt.
- Stuff with anything you have - felt scraps, newspapers, or polyfil - and hot glue closed.
- Safety pin the legs to the sides of the hoodie.
For the claws:
- Cut two matching claw sets from purple felt.
- Hot glue the sides and top together, leaving the bottom edge open to stick hands into like mittens.
For the eyes:
- Cut two long strips of cardboard for the eyes and cover with purple felt and glue together.
- Glue a large googly eye to the top of each cardboard piece. Glue the eyes to the top of the headband.
- Glue two purple pipe cleaners between the eyes and bend them to have a wiggly shape.
For the shell:
- Cut a large oval for the shell base from cardboard. Cut a large oval that’s bigger than the base for the shell back from yellow felt. Glue the felt around the edge of the cardboard and stuff it as you glue.
- Use craft glue to add gold glitter to the yellow felt shell and hot glue toy gold coins on top.
- Cut two straps from purple felt and hot glue to the back of the shell so that it wears like a backpack.