- One red kids outfit
- 1 ½ yards of red felt
- ¾ yard of yellow, blue, green felt
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Flexible wire
- Red thread and needle
- Package of red Fold Over Elastic
- Recommended: Rotary cutter and mat
This year, bring Aladdin's infamous nemesis (and his iconic parrot friend!) to life with our Primary DIY Jafar and Iago costume. Use our Primary essentials to create a whimsical Halloween look that will be admired from East to West and all the way to the Kingdom of Agrabah. You won't need a magic lamp for this costume – our DIY instructions will grant your wish for a simple and whimsical Halloween!
Create Iago's wings:
- Step one: Measure from wrist to armpit, this is your wing span. Then measure from top of shoulder to waist. Cut out two mirror image half moon shapes to make felt wing base. Measure between their shoulders and cut a rectangle shape to anchor the wings together across the back.
- Step two: Make a template for your feather shape. I made mine six inches long and then eased out the edges to make a curved feather shape.
- Step three: Put on a movie you enjoy and cut A LOT of feathers. I used a rotary cutter to make this easier, and the amount of feathers you need will depend on the size of your child. I needed 120 feathers of varying colors. You will need the most feathers of the bottom layer color and less of each rising layer.
- Step four: Measure your child’s wrist and upper arm WHILE wearing our kids top or hoodie. The red elastic shouldn’t be tight but fit just around where you want it to sit. Hot glue these two loops to the front of the wings (not the feather side) one at wrist and one at upper arm.
- Step five: Start hot gluing your feathers across the bottom layer following the arc of the wing. Work your way slowly up until you have solid feathers!
- Step six: Hot glue the anchoring rectangle to attach the wings to each other on the inside of the wings at the top.
Create Iago's tail:
- Step one: Cut a sloping edge triangle and hot glue a small portion of the top over itself to make a belt loop. Measure your child’s waist and make a loop of the red elastic after feeding it through the opening of the tail.
- Step two: Hot glue the feathers onto the tail, starting with the bottom layer and working up. Fold the feathers slightly at the top and glue them over the front part of the belt.
Create Iago's head piece:
- Step one: Using one feather of each color, hot glue wire along the edge with a long piece coming from each side. Glue another feather on top of this to sandwich the wire inside. When you have four feathers, twist the remaining wire together into a circle and stand up the feathers.
- Step two: Cut a circular piece of felt and glue the twisted wire inside in a circle. Once cool it will stand up on its own. Glue a piece of felt to sandwich inside. Hand stitch loosely to top of hood and bend the circle slightly to mimic the shape of your child’s head.
- Step one: For this super easy costume, you can find and purchase all materials online!
- Step two: For the assembly, have your little villain wear our soft kids top in red and bottom in black as the costume base. Add our black tee on top of the red top as another layer (to make red and black sleeves just like Jafar).
- Step three: Put on the cape, cummerbund and Jafar hat. Add in the accessories (Iago stuffed animal and Cobra staff) and your child will be ready to be a villain all night long!