- One pink baby top
- One yellow baby bottom
- Dark blue felt (5 sheets 9 x 12 inches each)
- Light blue felt (4 sheets 9 x 12 inches each)
- Yellow felt (4 sheets 9 x 12 inches each)
- Red felt (2 sheets 9 x 12 inches each)
- Purple felt (1 sheet 9 x 12 inches)
- Orange felt (2 sheets 9 x 12 inches each)
- Styrofoam ball (5 inches diameter)
- Red baby beanie
- Stuffing (felt scraps, newspapers, tissue, or polyfil)
- Black marker
- Kitchen knife
- Safety pin
- Hot glue gun and sticks
Bring your favorite silly sidekick to life with this DIY Hei Hei costume! Our reusable Primary essentials will keep your little one comfy, colorful, and most importantly ready for antics and adventure. They'll have so much fun bumbling around as Moana's favorite friend, and you'll have so much fun getting high fives from everyone who learns that you made it yourself!
For the headpiece:
- Use a red beanie as a base.
- Cut two matching squares of red felt for the comb and cut “V” shapes along the top edge of both pieces. Glue and stuff the comb together and glue to the top center of the hat.
- Cut two small yellow felt triangles and stuff and glue together. Cut two teardrop shapes from red felt and glue to the sides of the beak. Glue the beak to the center front of the hat.
- For the eyes, cut a large styrofoam ball in half with a kitchen knife. Cut two purple felt circles a little larger than the styrofoam ball and glue to the base of each eye. Glue the extra purple felt edge up around the base of the eye. Glue the eyes to the sides of the beanie.
For the feather bib:
- Cut a half circle from the top center of a sheet of yellow felt for the neckline.
- Cut thin yellow and orange felt feathers and hot glue orange feathers starting at the bottom of the bib, and working up. Glue yellow feathers closer to the top of the bib.
- Attach around the collar of the babysuit with double sided fabric tape.
For the wings:
- Cut two large leaf shapes from dark blue felt for the wing bases.
- Cut light and dark blue felt leaf shapes for the feathers and glue all over the wings.
- Attach to the shoulders of the babysuit with double sided fabric tape.
For the tail:
- Cut light and dark blue long tail feathers.
- Hot glue one end of each feather together in a bunch and attach to the bottoms with a safety pin.
- In a cold climate this Halloween? Use our baby long sleeve tee in pink!
- Want to make a whole DIY Bird crew? Check out our DIY Bird, DIY Bluebird, DIY Chicken, DIY Flamingoes, DIY Phoenix, DIY Peregrine Falcon, DIY Snowy Owl, DIY Parrot, DIY Peacock, DIY Rubber Duckey, DIY baby Turkey, and DIY kid Turkey costumes!