- One red kids outfit
- Styrofoam ball
- Black felt
- Red felt
- Orange pom pom OR orange felt
- Hot glue gun and sticks
- Fabric tape
Whether your little one is trick-or-treating on Sesame Street or on your neighborhood's Main Street, they will be the star of the show this Halloween. Transform your kiddo into one iconic furry red monster with our easy Primary DIY Elmo costume – our Primary essentials are cozier than a hug from Grover (while an itchy store-bought costume is more like an encounter with Groucho!) If they play their cards right, your little one will be competing with the Cookie Monster for the sugar-consumption award this Halloween. Bonus points for an adult Big Bird costume for the chaperone!
For the face:
- Cut a styrofoam ball in half.
- Cut two small black circles from felt and hot glue one to the center of each eye.
- Cut a long oval from red felt that is slightly larger than the two eyes sitting side by side with about 1/2 inch between the eyes, and big enough to fit the nose in the front.
- Glue the eyes onto the red felt and glue an orange pom pom for the nose onto the felt.
- Use fabric tape to secure the felt oval to the front of the hood of the hoodie.
- For a DIY baby Elmo, use a red baby outfit!
- Make a whole DIY Muppets crew with our DIY Cookie Monster, DIY baby Kermit the Frog, and DIY Kermit the Frog & Miss Piggy costumes!