- One purple kids outfit
- Green felt (1.5 yards)
- Yellow felt (½ yard)
- Green ribbon
- Elastic band
- Hot glue gun & sticks
- Double sided fabric tape
As every parent knows, "Dragons cannot be tamed... not even by their mother." Embrace your role as "Mother of Dragons" (or Father!) and let your kids embrace theirs as the fantastic beasts that they are! And the best part is, this easy DIY Dragon made with our reusable Primary essentials can be as cute or as ferocious as the little dragon inside!
For the wings:
- Cut out two matching wing shapes from cardboard. Hot glue green felt to the back side of each wing, and glue yellow felt to the front side of each wing. Trim off excess felt.
- Cut two strips of felt and glue the wings together in the center to connect them. Glue green ribbon to the yellow side of the wings to make wing line details.
- Cut and glue two elastic bands to the center of the wings so they wear over the shoulders like a backpack.
For the scales and tail:
- Cut two long matching pieces of green felt with pointed triangle scales along the outside edge, that’s thinner at the top, and curves to a thicker tail at the bottom.
- Cut a long strip of green felt that fits over the inner edge of the tail to give it more dimension when stuffing. Hot glue these pieces together and stuff with stuffing as you glue.
- Cut and glue yellow triangle felt pieces to the tips of each scale. Attach to the back of the hoodie with safety pins.
For the belly:
- Cut an oval from green felt that fits over the belly.
- Cut strips of green and yellow felt with one zig-zag edge for “scales”, and glue them slightly layered over each other, starting from the bottom, and working your way up.
- Attach to the front of the hoodie with double sided fabric tape.
- Have a baby that wants to be a dragon too? Check out our DIY baby Dragon costume.
- Want to go all-out Game of Thrones? Add a DIY Daenerys to the mix!
- Does your little dragon seem to have a hankering for street food? Check out our DIY Dragons Love Tacos costume.